Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Adam's Genealogy

All right, so in my Asian Studies class we learned about the Jomon people, an ancient people of Japan. In class, we learned that archaeologists estimated the Jomon to have lived around 15,000 BC.

I saw that date and I wondered how that would fit in with the Bible and whether or not 15,000 years have passed since the time of Adam. So I did a little genealogy work for Adam and his descendants.

I started with the basis that the year 0 would be the year of Adam's creation. Reading the lineage from the earlier chapters of Genesis, I was able to find out how long each of Adam's descendants lived, starting from Adam on down to Noah. I found out what age they all had their respective sons and from that was able to figure out around what year they all were born and died. Taking all that into account, this is what I came up with:


But when I got to Noah, I found what I thought to be a contradiction in the story of the flood. I was reading in Genesis 8:13 where it says "And it came to pass that in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from off the face of the earth".

I read that and thought that can't be right, Noah wasn't even born until 1256, so how could the flood have come and gone in the year 600? Then I read Genesis 9:28, which says:"And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years"

If you look at the chart I made, Noah lived to be 950 years old. He lived 350 years after the flood had passed. 950 - 350 = 600. Noah was 600 years old when the flood came, so when the verse says that the flood dried up in the 601st year, it was referring to the 601st year of Noah's life.

There was another really interesting thing I found. If you look at the chart, Noah was born in 1256, and when he was 600 the flood came and wiped out all life on the face of the earth in the year 1856, which happens to be the same year that Methuselah died.

I never answered my question regarding the Jomon people, but I did gain a really comforting reassurance of the consistency of the Bible and how that reflects on all the scriptures' testament of truth in all things.

No comments: