Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chinese system

I'm pretty sure everyone at this point has been harassed by me testing out my Chinese system on them. If I haven't, the premise is simple: I'm trying to create a system to teach Americans how to read and write characters. I've come up with all sorts of crazy, complicated and elaborate methods until tonight, I hit a breakthrough. I've been making it way too confusing, way too hard. So I did away with all mathematical appearing equations and I decided to do it the simplest way I could think.

I number each radical (smaller characters that make up the whole character) in order that they're written, and before each radical I write in parenthesis where you write it in relation to the previous radical (i.e. down, right, left, etc.). It's actually simple enough that I won't even need to give you the obligatory 10 minute introduction before I ask you to try the system out. In fact, it's simple enough a this point that I'm going to ask everyone reading this post to try it out. So grab a pen and paper!

First, I want you to write the word "Cat". The radicals are:

Animal


Grass

Field

So just follow the instructions.
Draw:
1. Animal
2. (right; up) Grass
3. (down) Field

And no peeking! Draw out how you think the character looks before looking at the answer and see how close you were. Hopefully what you wrote looks something like this:






The next one is the character for "love". The radicals are:

Claw

Over

One

Slash



Draw:
1. Claw
2. (down) Over
3. (down) One
4. (passing through #3) Slash
5. (touching right side of #4) Again

And the end result should be:



One more! This one's the hardest, so if anyone gets pretty close to the actual character I'm going to feel a lot more confident in my system. This is the character for "joy". The radicals are:

Short Thread

White


One

Line


Eight

Draw:
1. Short thread
2. (right; leave space) Short thread
3. (in between #1 & #2) White
4. (down) One
5. (passing through #4) Line
6. (straddling #5) Eight

and the character for joy is:



I really would love it if everyone would give it a shot and let me know if this is an effective method. Try it out, leave me a comment and rate yourself from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that with my instruction you drew the character perfectly and 1 meaning that my system needs work, your character looked nothing like the real character. So please do this everyone, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a lot!





3 comments:

karen nielson said...

I did pretty good - at least a 4. More like a 5; I just need to learn to do it faster. the character looks better when I don't overthink drawing each radical perfectly. Using a marker helps, too

Scott Nielson said...

I did well on #1, #2 was close but a bit off. And #3 was not as good as #1 but better than #2.

karen nielson said...

I just looked at Dad's and I was impressed. I think a Chinese person could read his.