Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Angels

I have the absolute best mother and father in the world, and I don't deserve them. Today I picked up my moped from the shop and it broke down midway back to Laie, so I called mom and dad and they were so sweet and so patient with me the entire time. I was a nasty old grump when I was on the phone with them and to be absolutely honest I had no excuse to be, especially since they were being so generous and caring toward me during the entire situation. I think I even hung up on mom once because I was so flustered and impatient and I just didn't want to say anything horribly disrespectful to her.

Mom and dad are always looking out for me. Before I came to Hawaii I thought I had a good grasp on what it would be like to live out on my own. I figured if I can secure a job, I'm set. I'll pay my own rent, buy my food, get a moped and everything will just be a breeze from then on out. Well my incredible parents have been there to swoop in and save me each time I ran into trouble and realized what a naive child I'd been, and they've done so without any thought for thanks, without asking me to pay them back over any period of time, but simply because they love me.

I think that's why I was in such a bad mood when I called them up today. They're always there for me and I wish I could be self-reliant enough that they didn't have to be. I was so frustrated that when I finally felt like I was getting a handle on things, something happened and I was helpless on my own. I just want so badly to be able to say, "you've already done so much for me, thank you. Because of your help I'm finally able to make it on my own." I want more than anything to do something for them after they've done so much for me. Now, in retrospect I think my effort to save mom and dad an extra $80 in the expense for towing my moped back to town was good-natured, but obviously can't even begin to make up for all that they've done for me.

Mom and dad, I'm sorry for my attitude today. I was just being stubborn, I wanted to be a grown up, but now I understand that no matter what stage of life I'm in, I'll always be your little boy, and I'm so grateful for that. I love you two so much, thank you for everything that you've ever done for me and the only way I can think of to repay you is to do the exact same thing for my family when I'm in your position.

No comments: