Blog Archive

Monday, September 27, 2010

More Struggles With Strugsworth

I completely forgot to post any pictures of my house. So it's long overdue, but I at least have these pictures of my room. No kidding, with the beds and the dressers, there's more moving space in Mom and Dad's laundry than in my bedroom. Take this along with the fact that I have a family of 4 Tongans and 2 roommates sharing the house, you can imagine it's quite a cozy squeeze.


Now the thing you need to understand is that in order to get this much of my room in the shot, I had to scrunch up in the back of an already crowded closet. To my left is the door to the room, and so this is really the entire thing. My bed's on top. So while both of us are slobs who don't make their beds, I'm a tasteful slob who at least has a nice cover slip for his mattress. You can't see it in this picture, but there's a ceiling fan that I've cut my head on climbing into bed because it's perpetually on. I've also hit my back and feet on it several times. Besides that, the bottom bunk is bigger. I can see why he wanted it.

And check out that extension cord in the window. Want to know what that's all about? In the bedroom there are no less than 6 outlets -- all of them broken. They have a heavy industrial size spool of heavy duty extension cable running into the room from under the door and everything else is powerstrips and extensions branching off of that one. This is the height of class in the islands. All this for only $400, what a steal right??

Now for a sad story involving me and my good friend Strugsworth. (I renamed my moped Strugsworth as opposed to the Strug because he's got this really high pitched whine when you ride him that can only be described as "Cockney") One night after riding that bruiser all the way to Kaneohe (about an hour's drive) and back, I decided I really needed a break. I parked him, tied dear old Mr. Strugsworth up to the side of a pole and tightly locked him into position like a good owner would. After a long, contemplative walk on the beach I came back to find the gates to the parking lot closed and this:

That's right, while locking the gate, they strung the chain through Strugsworth's basket and bolted it with an enormous pad lock.

Oh, it was on.

It was a Saturday night, there was no way I was leaving that thing all tethered up for all day Sunday. I wasn't going to let them do that. I looked around for a few minutes to see if there was any possible way to get it out, and seeing that there was no way to unhook the chain or even break the basket for that matter, I went to Foodland (Hawaii's Ream's) and bought a knife and cut Strugsworth to freedom.


(Sorry for the bad resolution, my camera doesn't take great night shots)


After only about ten minutes I was already out, and I figured after they put me to all that trouble, I'm not gonna tow my own trash out of trash out of there. I just wish I could've seen their reaction when they came back and saw that the animal had chewed off its own leg to get free of the trap. Anyway, I've got a scummy new basket which I'll take a picture of. It's covered with sea urchins and corals and demonic cherubim unfit for this world.

Still having a blast out here, needless to say!

1 comment:

courtney said...

i love that you have "glitter in the air" on your playlist..it's one of my favorites!